I'm a Bostonian who has worked in digital marketing and media since the mid 1990's. This is my personal blog, which I started back in 2005 as a way to get smart about the medium on behalf of my clients. Since then, it has served as a wonderful creative outlet for me, and a platform for sharing my experiences both at home and abroad. Thanks for visiting.
Here's the formal C.V.:
Stephanie A. Rogers
Results-oriented executive with entrepreneurial spirit and well-rounded background in strategic marketing services, including: digital strategy development, cross-channel planning, market research, media planning & buying, email marketing, web site design & development, and measurement & analytics. Superior communication and organizational skills, with capacity to manage large work flow. Keen personal interest in emerging media (social, mobile, location-based, etc.).
- 13 Underrated Skills that Agencies Look for in New Hires
- Nine Things Your E-Commerce Business Can Learn From Amazon's Success
- 10 Traits Every Business Should Consider When Looking For A Partner Agency
- Achieving Success in a Dynamic Healthcare Marketing Environment
- Falling into an Echo Chamber of Meaningless Buzzwords
- Curiosity and the Power of the Liberal Arts
- This is what's wrong with online advertising.
- It's that time of year - let's talk trends
- The Dawn of a New Internet
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mobile Marketing Work Harder
- How to Engage an Empowered Consumer [Download]
- 4 Reasons to Fire Your Digital Ad Agency - MarketingVOX
- How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Online Ad Campaign, Part 2
- How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Online Ad Campaign, Part 1
- PARTNERS+simons 2007 Holiday Party on Boston.tv
- BIMA Fall Networking on Boston.tv
- DMNews Essential Guide to SEM
- BlogTalkRadio Interview on Transparency
- PARTNERS+simons Press Release
- TheCultureJunkie.com (personal blog)
Board Member and Volunteer, Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled
(2010 - Present)
An amazing, national nonprofit serving quadriplegic and other people with severe spinal cord injuries or mobility-impairments by providing highly trained monkeys to assist with daily activities. Through the generous support of donors and volunteers, monkeys are placed with disabled people at no cost. To learn more, follow Helping Hands on Twitter, like them on Facebook, sign up for their email newsletter, or donate now. Thank you!
Executive Vice President, Contact Planning (Media + Analytics) at PARTNERS+simons (2012 - Present)
Senior Director, Contact Planning (2007 - 2012)
Director, Interactive Strategy (2006)
Part of the management team at a marketing services firm focused on financial services and healthcare brands. Responsible for building and retaining media and analytics teams, as well as driving innovation and improved quality of agency work in both areas. Contribute strategic direction and thought leadership to a variety of integrated campaigns (B2B and B2C, branding and demand generation, digital and traditional channels), participate in new business development, and manage agency social media efforts.
Responsible for the creation, development and growth of the Contact Planning department, which combines audience insights, channel planning, and campaign analytics to optimize every point that consumers come into contact with a brand.
Senior Vice President, Digital Marketing at Hill Holliday (2007)
Recruited to build and lead the digital marketing services team, including strategy development, media planning and buying, creative design & development (online advertising, social media, email, web sites), and measurement & analytics, as well as all department operations.
- Liberty Mutual: Building on the success of Liberty's anthem ad, "What Goes Around," worked with the team to extend the brand's responsibility positioning to its digital channels, including a corporate site redesign, online advertising (display and paid search), and brand microsites: WhatsYourPolicy.com (a social/user-generated content site where visitors weigh in on various ethical questions), CoachOfTheYear.com (recognizing coaching excellence both on and off the field), and The Responsibility Project (the next-generation of WhatsYourPolicy, infused with multimedia and branded entertainment).
- TJX Companies: Leveraging key insights about the T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods shoppers (women we dubbed "Passionistas" for their passion about the brands, shopping experience, and thrill of the find) we set out to elevate the water-cooler talk about their latest purchases to the Web. This led to the creation of the wildly successful Open House blog, and the recruitment and training of women from across the country who now contribute to it. From stay-at-home Moms to Interior Designers, they had one thing in common: a passion for HomeGoods. We flew them into headquarters, trained them on the principles of blogging and transparency, and set them free. The program also involved development of the microsite itself, plus online advertising to promote it.
- Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare: Online marketing (display & paid search) and website development for the brand, as well as development of an innovative social media campaign in the form of LetsTalkHealthcare.org, an online forum for discussing the changing health care industry and a platform for then-CEO Charlie Baker to share his thoughts with the community via blogging. In addition to standard advertising units to promote the site, we developed RSS ads which dynamically pulled the latest blog post title into the ad's headline.
Associate Director, Marketing at Digitas (2004 - 2006)
Part of the account management organization, responsible for digital strategy development (web site, email, online advertising, and multi-channel integration), client management, and delivery oversight.
- General Motors: Managed the strategic direction of GM's cross-divisional web initiatives, including redesign of gm.com; development of new identity, look and feel for the cross-divisional online retail shopping experience and communication of same to employees, dealers, suppliers, consumers; development of an online, virtual auto show to help consumers experience GM vehicles from their desktops via rich media, video, and customer testimonials. Re-purposed content and footage in a video-on-demand channel with select cable operators. Online advertising and event-based promotion of the same.
- Wyeth: Development of a marketing program targeted at health care professionals in order to support the Wyeth sales force as the product line increased but face-time with physicians decreased. Program included a redesigned web site for physicians to access clinical research, continuing medical education, pipeline info and sample ordering; a sales force toolkit including collateral and Flash demo; and direct mail, email program, online advertising (search & display), and convention signage to promote the offering.
Account Director at One to One Interactive (2000-2004)
Primary client interface and strategic lead in developing interactive strategies to integrate with overall marketing plans. Programs included market research, media planning, email marketing, web site design & development, search engine optimization, and measurement & analytics. Actively participated in new business pursuits and contributed to internal process development and knowledge share. Editor of the agency email newsletter, One to One Insider.
- NEXTEL Communications: Managed online media budget and synchronized promotions with Motorola iDEN online store in order to reduce cost per lead by 87% through aggressive testing and optimization; generated highest rate of leads per dollar expended in all of NEXTEL's corporate marketing, including print, television, and in-store promotions
- GlaxoSmithKline: Oversaw web site development, online advertising, and email marketing for a variety of consumer- and professional-facing initiatives including AsthmaActionAmerica.org, Asthma.com, AsthmaControl.com, Augmentin.com, and Vesicare.com.
- Capella University: Managed online advertising and web site development for the online university. Developed lead generation programs to encourage online enrollments.
- Cotton Incorporated: Helped build the market for Cotton via online brand advertising and web site development. Core initiative was a consumer promotion driving to TheJoyofShopping.com.
Day-to-day project manager and client contact at an interactive agency (THINK) that was subsequently acquired by a global e-business and technology consulting firm (answerthink). Developed statements of work, creative briefs, budgets & schedules, and managed work flow throughout project life cycle. Key accounts included IBM, Gillette, Unilever, and Nortel.
Started out as Sales & Marketing Assistant at a start-up that developed personalization technology for web sites (OpenSesame), responsible for identifying and qualifying leads for direct sales/OEM opportunities for the OpenSesame behavioral profiling toolkit. Created and maintained sales database and targeted email lists. Managed direct mail campaign (creation, distribution, follow-up, tracking). Conducted telemarketing for sales, expo, survey and other occasions. Drafted proposals and presented pitches to leads. Arranged seminars and training sessions for Open Sesame licensees.
When the company was acquired by Bowne, promoted to Manager of Strategic Alliances, responsible for recruiting, managing, and supporting technology partners that enhanced Bowne's overall consulting practice (e.g., site analysis & measurement, content management, customer relationship management, and transaction systems). Coordinated Bowne's participation in partners' user conferences, including press releases, speaking engagements, and white paper submissions.
Responsible for scheduling, coordinating, and managing all of the paperwork associated with corporate and residential real estate closings.
Bowdoin College (1990 - 1994)
Bachelor of Arts
English and Government Double Major, Spanish Minor