If you live in the city, you know what a hassle owning a car can be. Beyond the traffic, potholes, and high insurance rates, there is the ever-present joy of trying to find street parking.
If you're lucky enough to find a spot - particularly in congested neighborhoods like Beacon Hill or the North End - you may be tempted to leave your car there for days or weeks at a time, only to find that it's been towed thanks to the city's aggressive street sweeping program (there's some lively dialog about this over on UniversalHub).
Well, worry no more! My friend Chris has unveiled a new iPhone app, SWEEP:BOS, that will help you keep track of those pesky street cleaning schedules and avoid towing fees. Features include:
- Saving your vehicle's parked location
- Conversion of days/times to actual Next Sweep Dates (i.e. 1st & 3rd Tues to Tues, Oct 6th, 8AM-12PM)
- Adding/editing streets, blocks and sweep day/times
- Adding/removing neighborhoods
- Snow Emergency Route information
- Street sweeping color notification (Green = 7 days out, Yellow = 3 days out, Red = 24 hours out)
- Neighborhood information updated regularly and available for download
It also has a clever parking-ticket design:
Boston area neighborhoods currently available:
- Back Bay
- Beacon Hill
- Dorchester (north/south)
- East Boston
- Jamaica Plain/Roslindale
- North End
- South Boston
- South End
More neighborhoods (and hopefully a Blackberry version!) are in the offing. See photos of the app (plus its many fans!) on Facebook or just get it now at iTunes or Apptism.