P+s Summer Outing
August 20, 2006
PARTNERS+simons recently enjoyed a Summer outing to Thompson Island, one of the dozen or so islands in the Boston Harbor that is open to the public.
In the early 1600s, this particular island was used by Scotsman David Thompson as a trading post for exchanging goods with the Neponset Indians. In 1833, the island became home to a school for orphaned boys, famous for being the first vocational school in America (it had wood & print shops) and home of the first school band.
Today the island is home to the Willauer School, the site of an Outward Bound program that brings together more than 5,000 students and adults each year, and a nature retreat for local Bostonians.